Vitamin D is quite possibly one of the most important vitamins required for human health. The best source of Vitamin D is direct sunlight exposure. Other dietary sources include cod liver oil, salmon, mackerel, sardines and tuna. Milk that is fortified with D (as well as milk products) supply a smaller amount of D. It is recommended by nutrition experts that both children and adults consume between 800 – 1000 IU of vitamin D per day, especially in places direct sunlight exposure is limited (like Jackson, WY in during the winter months). At JH Backcountry Health, we carefully select our supplements from reputable sources. If you are in need of Vitamin D, we have your back!
Some important functions of Vitamin D:
- Prevent bone fractures
- Prevent falls in older people and osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of cancer, especially colon cancer, prostate cancer, and breast cancer
- Reduce the risk of diabetes, especially in young people and in those living in high altitude
- Protect against heart disease, including high blood pressure and heart failure
- Reduce your risk for multiple sclerosis
- Improve your mood
- Improve your lung function.